Well, well, well… I have finally got this stew thing down. After making it several times over the past year or so, I’ve concocted a recipe that is entirely my own and everything that I’ve ever wanted in a stew. My secret ingredients – of course, no longer secret after this post – are dry red wine and fresh lemon juice. Why? Both ingredients add bright, complex flavors to any dish, and this stew is no exception. Personally, I loved it with lamb, but any red meat can be used.
Simply put, this stew is easy to make, hearty, and delicious, making it perfect for a laid-back winter meal. Do yourself a favor and serve it with a loaf of fresh-baked, crusty bread for dipping.
What you’ll need:
- 1/4 cup EVOO
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tbsp. celery seed
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- Himalayan salt to taste
- Cracked black pepper to taste
- 2 lb. leg of lamb
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup dry red wine (I used Malbec)
- 15 purple potatoes, halved
- 15 golden pearl onions, peeled
- 2 cups carrots, shredded
- 3 portobello mushroom caps, diced
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch (or thickening agent of your choice)
What you’ll do:
- In the bottom of a slow cooker, stir together the EVOO, parsley, basil, celery seed, garlic, and desired amount of salt and pepper; coat the leg of lamb with the mixture
- Stir in the lemon juice, broth, red wine, potatoes, onions, carrots, and mushrooms
- Cook on high for 5 hours, or on low for 9 hours
- Remove any remaining meat from the bone (most should have fallen off on its own) and break into smaller pieces if needed; add the meat back to the slow cooker and discard the bone
- Stir in the tapioca starch until the broth thickens and the stew is thoroughly mixed together
This looks delish! Can you use beef instead of lamb, do you think it would work with the other ingredients? You can cook for me anytime!
Absolutely! I’m not sure which cut of beef would be best, but talk to the guys at Whole Foods. They’re super helpful. :)
I just made this and my husband and I absolutely loved it! Perfect winter recipe, thank you for sharing.
I’m so happy that you enjoyed it! Stay warm and cozy. ☺️